Saturday 10 October 2015

Day 1 - Leg / Shoulder Workout A

Day 1 - Leg / Shoulder Workout A

Most leg workouts consist of the same basic exercises such as squats, leg press, extensions etc. There is nothing wrong with those exercises but there is a problem with the lack of exercises. Most leg workouts focus too much on the quadriceps which are the muscles on the front of your legs. That means that the hamstrings, the muscles on the back of your legs, are neglected and in the long run end up lacking. I have watched numerous youtube videos where the youtuber is mentioning how he knows his hamstrings are lacking when compared to his quadriceps but yet only does one isolation exercise for his hamstring. So here is my first leg workout of the week:

Squats 3x8-12
Leg Press 3x8-12
Leg Extension 4x10-15
Seated Leg Curl - 4x10-15
Lying Leg Curl - 4x10-15
Leg Press Calf Raises 5x10-15
Seated Calf Raises 5x10-15

The main difference between my leg workout and most leg workouts is simple the addition of a second Hamstring isolation exercise. Most people choose between the seated leg curl and the lying hamstring curl. I just rather do both. I have seen people make the mistake of not adding volume for their hamstrings so I am just learning from someone else's mistake. I also alternate the angle at which my feet are placed during calf raises to make sure I can target all the muscle fibers.

I also workout my shoulders on this day. As you guys will see, I don't really focus on my front delts because they are worked out harder than most people think on chest day. So here is my shoulder workout:

Shoulder Press 3x8-12
Side Lateral Cable Raise 3x8-12
Unilateral Side lateral Raise 3x8-12
Facepulls 3x8-12
Reverse Flyes 3x8-12
Dumbell Shrugs 4x10

There is always debate on whether you should do shrugs on shoulder day or back day. I don't have the answer to the question but I will say I alternate every couple of months. I try my best to focus on really feeling the muscle contract when I work on my rear deltoids. Most people have lacking rear delts because they only do one exercise for them. I take the same approach for my rear delts as for my hamstrings. I'm trying to avoid making the mistakes the average person does.

Ask questions in the comments if you have any. Don't be afraid to message me on twitter @LuigiBucci_ . Hope you found this blog entry insightful. The next one will be on my chest day routine. Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment