Wednesday 14 October 2015

Day 2 - Chest / Triceps / Abs Workout A

Day 2 - Chest / Triceps / Abs 

Hi everyone, hope you guys are all enjoying the "workout plan" series. This installment will explain day 2 of the workout split. This consists of chest, triceps and abs.

Chest:

Incline Dumbbell Press 3x10
Flat Dumbbell Press 3x10
Dips 3x10
Cable Crossovers (high) 3x10
Cable crossovers (low) 3x10

The part of the workout focusing on chest is quite repetitive. I do two pressing movements, two fly movements and dips. As you can see, I am not utilizing the bench press at all. I personally prefer dumbbell press as it lets me work each side of the body independently. The bench press can cause muscular imbalances as everyone has a dominant side of their body, whether it is the left or right. The reason I am utilizing the dumbbell press rather than the bench press doesn't have anything to do with preference. I always cycle between dumbbell press and barbell bench press. I believe both of them serve a purpose. The barbell bench press is better for overloading the muscle while the dumbbell press is better for isolating the muscle. The reason I start with incline bench press is due to the fact that people tend to lack upper chest mass and end up looking disproportionate. I am trying to avoid the mistakes they made by using the priority principle. I want to focus on upper chest therefore I start my chest workout with upper chest. I also prefer to do cable crossover from a high and low starting point to target the different fibers in the pectoral. 

Triceps:

Pulldowns (straight bar) 3x10-15
Skullcrusher 3x10-15
Tricep extension 3x10-15

I don't do too many tricep exercises as they were targeted as a secondary mover during the chest-focused exercises. I start with cable pulldowns. I utilize the straight bar handle but I know most people prefer the rope. I don't have a preference, I just switch between both every few months. I currently perform my skulllcrushers with an EZ-Bar. Again, I alternate between the bar and dumbbells. I prefer the dumbbells but the bar is just as effective. the next exercise is the tricep extension. I perform these at the cables with the rope as my handle. I find this is the best variation for extension. The seated dumbbell extension puts unnecessary strain on my body which I have no reason to deal with when there is a better alternative.

Abs:

(Leg Raises + Runners ) 3x10(each exercise)
(Decline Russian Twists + Side bends) 3x10(each exercise) 

I don't spend too much time on my abs. I perform two supersets. The first one focuses on the frontal wall of the abdominals where as the second superset focuses on the obliques. The first one consists of leg raises and runners. Runners are unilateral knee raises with a slow tempo. The second superset is made up Decline russian twists and side bends. I focus on a slow tempo during both these exercises too make sure I am targeting the muscle and not just moving from point A to point B.

This is the workout for day 2! Hope you guys enjoyed the article and let me know how you guys like the workout if you try it out. The next post will explain my first back / bicep / forearm workout of my 6 day cycle. Hope to see you guys on the next post



No comments:

Post a Comment